Tuesday, November 02, 2010

Lick The Platter Clean

An apple a day...wouldn't be enough for an Applesauce Spice Cake with Buttermilk Syrup. I used three peeled and grated apples AND a cup of chunky applesauce to make this lick-the-platter-clean, delicious, fall dessert.

The original recipe only called for two apples, but I had three in the bowl on the table and tossed in the additional one "just because." The extra little pieces of apple disbursed through the batter creating moist pockets of superb. fruity goodness in the cinnamony cake. Yum.

But, as yummy as the spicy cake is, it is the syrup that had my guests wanting to lick the plate when I served this dessert after a simple meal on Halloween. You KNOW a recipe is a hit when someone swirls their fork around to make sure that they get every last drop of the caramel-like Buttermilk Syrup. I was ready to avert my eyes and look away if the plate raised up from the table to meet the eager tongue, but good manners reigned strong...mostly.

Why don't you bake an Applesauce Spice Cake with Buttermilk Syrup for yourself and see if you can stand not to lick the plate? I don't think that I can resist it On My Plate.




1/2 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 cup applesauce
3 apples, peeled, cored, and grated
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoons nutmeg (I always use fresh grated nutmeg & grate right into the batter...never sure if I have the right measure, or not.)
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 1/4 cups flour

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Cream softened butter and sugar. 
Mix in eggs one at a time until well incorporated. 
Stir in applesauce and apples until combined.
Sift in cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and flour. 
Stir until all dry ingredients are moist. 
Don't over mix. 
Pour into a prepared 9" x 13" baking dish.
Bake 30-40 minutes or until tester inserted in center of cake comes out clean.
Serve with buttermilk syrup.

Buttermilk Syrup
  
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup buttermilk
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons vanilla

In a large pot (Really LARGE...when the buttermilk and baking soda heat together, the foam is insane. Pick your largest pot and go buy one bigger to make the sauce...or clean up boiled over foamy sugar off your stove. You have been warned.), combine butter, buttermilk, corn syrup, sugar, and baking soda.
Stir and bring to a boil. 
Boil 7 minutes, stirring constantly. (This is when the foam really gets out of control.)
Remove pan from heat. 
Allow foam to subside, then stir in vanilla. 
Serve warm.

1 comment:

  1. I really can't wait to try this! I have all the ingredients! And my 14 year old son is so in love with your butter sauce for the cranberry sauce....he'll be begging me to try this one soon to see if it's another favorite. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails